Bishop William P. O'Connor launched the initial building drive on August 17, 1953, to raise $100,000 to build a new Catholic church and grade school on Beloit's northeast side. The founding pastor was Msgr. Robert J. O'Hara. Through a lot of hard work and dedication from the founding members, the school, all-purpose room and rectory were completed in 1955. The all-purpose room was appropriately named as it served as the church, gymnasium, classroom and meeting room, with the present sacristy housing the kitchen. Ground breaking for the church/school complex was held in 1955 and the school opened in mid-October 1955 with grades 6-8.
The Sisters of Mercy lived in the present classrooms on the east end of the school, until the convent was completed in 1960. At that time the school was expanded to include grades 1-8 as the sisters' living quarters, in the school, were converted to classrooms. The Sisters of Mercy were involved in teaching and administration in the school until 1974, at which time the Brigidine Sisters began a ten-year ministry in our school. In 1984, a lay principal was hired and the school continues its excellent academic tradition under that leadership.
In November 1990, an educational endowment fund drive was initiated to ensure the continual and perpetual viability of our education programs from childhood to adulthood. Between 1975 and 1979, a fund drive was initiated that resulted in the conversion of the old church and school's multi-purpose room into a permanent new church. In 1980, an additional fund drive for $400,000 took place to add an addition to the school which was completed in 1981. In 1995, the convent no longer housed any sisters and was remodeled and designated as the OLA Education Center, containing offices for the Director of Religious Education and 4/5 year old kindergarten classes from the school. Further development and remodeling took place in 1997 with the addition of a Child Care Center serving children from 24 months to 12 years of age.
On August 15, 2004, a new parish church was dedicated. This building project also included a remodeling of the old church, an addition to the school office, a parish hall, and positioned ourselves to be a strong Catholic presence in the Beloit community and the surrounding area. The parish continues to thrive due to the time and talents shared by the parishioners, and its dedicated staff.